Holiday Cheer, 9 Weeks Until Christmas is Here!

My Favorite Thing About Fall

I have to admit that fall isn’t my favorite season.  Truth be told, my favorite time of the year is the end of spring after everything has bloomed and the heat of summer hasn’t driven me to dream of winter yet.
BUT…while I find myself pining away for spring by the end of August, this feeling seems to be a double edged sword because I eagerly await the weather to turn so I can once again revel in my favorite foods.
I LOVE almost anything apple, pumpkin and cranberry.  I think I can attribute this love of fall produce to my parents.  I remember my mom would occasionally make us squash or pumpkin pie for breakfast.  She said it was good to have pie for breakfast, it was full of yummy goodness right out of our garden.  We spent hours picking apples and my dad put a big old cast iron claw foot tub in our back patio that we would fill with water and play in during the hot summer months and bob for apples in during the fall, and when the holidays rolled around my parents always made fresh cranberry relish for us.  (I was a little shocked to discover you could get cranberries in a can after I got married. Not my favorite, but to each their own.)
So here are a couple of my favorite dishes with the fall foods I love.
 











My Parents Cranberry Relish
2-3 Oranges
2-3 Apples
1 bag Cranberries
Grate, or blend, together and sweeten to taste. (My parents always used sugar, but in past years I have used everything from Agave to liquid sugar and everything in between.)
Play around with it until you hit on the perfect balance for your taste.  It is the BEST on turkey sandwiches the day after Thanksgiving.
Fruity Squash Salad
9 oz acorn squash (peeled and cubed)
6 cups spring mix salad greens
¼ cup chopped scallions
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/3 cup toasted chopped walnuts

Fruity vinaigrette dressing to taste
Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Arrange squash in single layer on baking pan.  Coat lightly with olive oil cooking spray.  Season with salt and pepper.
Roast 30 minutes or until squash is fork tender and golden brown.
In large bowl, gently toss salad greens, scallions, cranberries, nuts and squash.

Enjoy!!

Comments

Popular Posts